GROUPS ARE CURRENTLY LIMITED TO 5 VOLUNTEERS.
Volunteers are ARNO’s lifeblood. We couldn’t exist without the generous service of our volunteers. Please consider coming to help us at the shelter on a regular basis. Even one day a week for a few hours is a huge help. All volunteers must fill out the online application below, sign a volunteer waiver on their first day at the shelter, and sign in/out with a PIN each time they volunteer.
After filling out the application below, please wait for the welcome letter with additional information and scheduling instructions. Please allow 48 hours for your application to be processed.
(365 days a year in rain, sun, hail, snow, or sleet)
9am-1pm – Morning dog walking/kennel cleaning/feeding and cat care (feeding/cleaning kennels and condos/new litter)
2pm-5pm – Chores, afternoon dog walks, kennels cleaned if needed, supervised playtime designated play area; cat socialization (petting and brushing).
6pm-9pm – Night dog walks/kennel cleaning and evening feeding (over 18 for night walks); cat socialization and environment cleaning (i.e. sweeping, disinfectant mopping in common areas, changing litter boxes as needed, treats and replenish food, prep for following day in all areas of shelter.)
In addition to walking dogs, volunteer duties include:
- doing dishes (scrubbing and disinfecting litter pans and food/water bowls)
- doing laundry
- cleaning cat cages and dog pens
- sanitizing carriers
- disinfectant mopping
- light housekeeping in the office/bathrooms
- serving as bottle moms for kittens (experienced only)
- various other tasks as needed
Volunteers are also needed for events (handling dogs, manning booths, etc.). CLICK HERE to sign up for our offsite events volunteer mailing list if interested in events!
Community Service Hours
If you know high school students who love animals, this is a perfect opportunity to put in required community service hours, and a wonderful opportunity to add a bright spot to homeless animals lives. We also welcome volunteers that have court ordered community service.
- You must love animals;
- You are well-mannered; and
- You take instructions well. ARNO is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit and can schedule court ordered community service hours.
The minimum age to volunteer is 14 years old (with a parent/guardian volunteering alongside them), and we only schedule teens under 16 at times when we have enough experienced adults on hand.
- 14: requires a parent or guardian to volunteer with them at all times and are limited to the 2-5 pm chores-only shift.
- 15 & 16: limited to the 2-5 pm chores-only shift with parents permission (16 may also help with cats on morning shift.)
- 17: can sign up for any daytime shift until 6 pm (cats and chores)
- Only 18 and older can handle dogs and volunteer anytime from 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
How do I sign up as a volunteer?
Fill out the volunteer application below. Your online application will be answered within 48 hours by our volunteer coordinator. Once you receive an email from the volunteer coordinator, please review the information and respond with when (day/times) you are requesting to volunteer. We schedule all volunteers on our calendar via email. So please, if you volunteer, be responsible enough to show up on time, or let us know via email that you are not coming and cannot make your commitment. We do not overbook volunteers, so if you are scheduled you will be needed.
The shelter is located at 271 Plauche St., New Orleans 70123 in the Elmwood business park area off of Jefferson Hwy. and Edwards Ave. (turn off of Jefferson Hwy onto Edwards Ave. and then turn left at the corner corner with the Cox Communications office, that is Plauche Street.)