- MASKS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL VOLUNTEERS.
- WE ARE CURRENTLY ONLY SCHEDULING FOR VOLUNTEERS 16+ YEARS OLD.
- WE ARE CURRENTLY ONLY SCHEDULING FOR THE 9 A.M. – 1P.M. AND 6 P.M. – 9 P.M. SHIFTS
- ORIENTATIONS ARE CURRENTLY SUSPENDED. PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION BELOW AND WE WILL EMAIL FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS TO START VOLUNTEERING.
- GROUPS ARE CURRENTLY LIMITED TO 5 VOLUNTEERS.
Volunteers are ARNO’s lifeblood. We couldn’t exist without the generous service of our volunteers.
Please consider coming to help us at the shelter on a regular basis. Even one day a week for a few hours is a huge help.
All volunteers must fill out the online application below, attend orientation, sign a volunteer waiver on their first day at the shelter, and sign in/out of the volunteer logbook at the shelter.
Orientation – COVID-19 UPDATE: ORIENTATIONS ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Orientation (approximately 45 minutes) is offered on select Saturday afternoons each month at 12 p.m. and is required for ALL volunteers. We also offer special working orientation sessions for those volunteers 18+ years old one or two weekend mornings each month. We will email out the current orientation schedule when you complete the application below.
After filling out the application below, please wait for the welcome letter with additional information and the upcoming orientation schedule. It will be sent within 24 hours of filling out the application.
If you are with a large group or coming from out of town, once you receive the welcome information, please email us to let us know so we can discuss orientation alternatives.
(365 days a year in rain, sun, hail, snow, or sleet)
9am-1pm – Morning dog walking/kennel cleaning/feeding and cat care (feeding/cleaning kennels and condos/new litter)
2pm-5pm – Chores, afternoon dog walks, kennels cleaned if needed, supervised playtime designated play area; cat socialization (petting and brushing).
6pm-9pm – Night dog walks/kennel cleaning and evening feeding (over 18 for night walks); cat socialization and environment cleaning (i.e. sweeping, disinfectant mopping in common areas, changing litter boxes as needed, treats and replenish food, prep for following day in all areas of shelter.)
In addition to walking dogs, volunteer duties include:
- doing dishes (scrubbing and disinfecting litter pans and food/water bowls)
- doing laundry
- cleaning cat cages and dog pens
- sanitizing carriers
- disinfectant mopping
- light housekeeping in the office/bathrooms
- serving as bottle moms for kittens (experienced only)
- various other tasks as needed
Volunteers are also needed for events (handling dogs, manning booths, etc.). Sign up for our mailing list if interested in events!
Community Service Hours
If you know high school students who love animals, this is a perfect opportunity to put in required community service hours, and a wonderful opportunity to add a bright spot to homeless animals lives. We also welcome volunteers that have court ordered community service.
- You must love animals;
- You are well-mannered; and
- You take instructions well. ARNO is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit and can schedule court ordered community service hours.
The minimum age to volunteer is 14 years old (with a parent/guardian volunteering with them), and we only schedule teens under 16 at times when we have enough experienced adults on hand.
- 14: requires a parent or guardian to volunteer with them at all times and are limited to the 2-5 pm shift
- 15 & 16: limited to the 2-5 shift with parents permission sign off (16 may also help with cats on morning shift.)
- 17: can sign up for any daytime shift until 6 pm
- Only 18 and older can handle dogs and volunteer anytime from 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
How do I sign up as a volunteer?
Fill out the volunteer application below. Your online application will be answered within 24 hours by our volunteer coordinator. She will send you our daily schedule, as some duties are only during certain hours of the day/night. Once you receive an email from the volunteer coordinator, please respond with when (day/times) you can attend orientation and your volunteer availability. We schedule all volunteers on our calendar. So please, if you volunteer, be responsible enough to show up on time, or let us know via email that you are not coming and cannot make your commitment. We do not overbook volunteers, so if you are scheduled you will be needed.
The shelter is located at 271 Plauche St., New Orleans 70123 in the Elmwood business park area off of Jefferson Hwy. and Edwards Ave. (turn off of Jefferson Hwy onto Edwards Ave. and then turn left at the corner corner with the Cox Communications office, that is Plauche Street.)
We promise you this: You will get more than you give!